Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dear Fifth Graders,

I hope you all had a fabulous summer.  I sure did!  I'm so excited to meet everyone and get to know you throughout the school year.  I've heard so many wonderful and exciting things about you.  I can't wait to hear all your incredible stories, and share in the excitement of new discoveries.  We are going to have one fabulous year.  

Can you believe it?  It's your last year at Chapman.  Wow!  You are now the top grade, 5th Graders.  What a great honor, but also a huge responsibility too.  I know you are all ready to step up and show us what you are so very capable of accomplishing.  We are going to have one terrific year.  We have so much planned for you.

So, before you leave, write myself and your new classmates a comment about something you did over the summer.  Maybe you took an overseas trip, spent time an amusement park, went to the beach, took a rafting trip down some rapids, went camping, had sleep-overs with friends, or had some adventure in your neighborhood.  We can't wait to read them!

I hope to see you at the Ice Cream Social at 3:00pm.  I know Bentley's very excited to meet you all!

10 comments:

  1. I started off my summer with a trip to Salt Lake City on one of the bumpiest airplane rides I've ever been on. I thought I was going to lose my lunch. Yikes! I was so happy to finally arrive and see my sister and my niece and nephew. I was hoping to see lots of fireworks but, they had a ban on them because of all the forest fires, which you could watch from their backyard. So, we spent our time watching the firefighting planes drop water on the fires. Pretty weird. Then, I was off to Denver, Colorado to sing with my choir at a huge singing convention. And, when I say huge, I mean it. There were over 200 choruses and over 5000 singers performing over 4 days. It was incredible hearing and watching all those fabulous performances. I was really sad when it was over. I had made a lot of new friends. But about half way home I felt very eager to get back. The rest of the summer I spent working on my house, in the yard, taking Bentley on walks and visiting my friends and family. I can't wait to hear about your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr Bush,
    My name is Earth and i'm a new student at Chapman.Do you remember Jake, he was in your class the year before last. Well he's my step brother!

    This summer i wen't to florida and saw my big sister, Granny and Pop pop,and cousin Naia. I played floor hokey at the st. johns community center. And went rafting in rapids to celebrate my 10th birthday!
    I had a great summer and I can't wait to meet you and your dog bentley.

    P.S. What kind of dog is bentley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, Sounds like you had a wonderful summer. I'm so glad you know Jake, he was one of my favorite students. Please say hi to him for me. I can't wait to meet you and your family this afternoon. Bentley is a English Mastiff. Believe me, you won't miss him. Heehee. See you later. Mr. B.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mr. Bush,
    You asked us to tell you about our summers, so I will. I went to Taiwan with my parents and sister to visit family. My grandma is so nice, would you believe, she tried to buy me a water bottle with hearts on it! I tried to teach my grandpa English, with some success. Later my dad went to Norway and Amsterdam and he bought licorice for me in Norway. When I got back to the States I went to the coast - twice! The second time we went to Regatta Park on Devil's lake where I caught my first keep-able fish, a rainbow trout. That was four days ago, my dad's B-day was the next day. We only got around to the fish two days later, when it was cooked with butter and onions by my grandpa, who left this morning after a visit with my (other) grandma.

    Sincerely, Atle. P.S. Bentley is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice time you had with your family. Bentley really enjoyed his time with everyone. I remember the first fish I caught. I got sick and threw up over the side of the boat. My dad had to reel the fish in for me. What a funny memory.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mr. Bush,

    I’m Malcolm Karow, we met at the ice cream social today. It was nice to meet you (and Bentley!) =). I can’t wait to see the class and actually get to know you better.

    I’m really gonna miss summer, but I’m really glad I can start off the school year on a good start because I got the teacher I wanted and I got my best friend, Max Weissflog (Olivia’s brother) In my class too!!!!!

    I did a LOT of stuff during the summer but I really enjoyed going on vacation to California to go to Universal Studios and Disneyland! I went on a ride that was very intimidating for the past three times I’ve been to Disneyland. Once I did it I enjoyed it so much that I rode it 5 other times afterwards!!!!

    I also went to my Grandpa’s cabin in a lake in Minnesota to spread his ashes );
    He passed away in late January of this year. We had a celebration of his life on a boat landing on a lake. Some of my cousins were there too, only 2 of them were not because one is in the Navy and the other couldn’t make it.

    I am the youngest of all my cousins. The second youngest is 11, turning 12 tomorrow!!! But he wasn’t at the celebration because he is on my Mom’s side of the family.

    I also went to the beach and tried boogie boarding for the first time!!! It’s really fun but it took me about 30 minutes to get used to the freezing cold water.

    My cousin (Patrick, the guy who’s B-Day is tomorrow) came and stayed in Portland for a week. We went to Silverwood, Have you ever heard of it???? It is a theme park and water park in Idaho. We had a lot of fun there.

    We also stayed at my friend Kai Thompson’s beach house. Kai is in Mr. Hendrickson’s class.

    I also have a quick question, How old is Bentley in human years????



    Thanks,
    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mr. Bush,

    I’m Malcolm Karow, we met at the ice cream social today. It was nice to meet you (and Bentley!) =). I can’t wait to see the class and actually get to know you better.

    I’m really gonna miss summer, but I’m really glad I can start off the school year on a good start because I got the teacher I wanted and I got my best friend, Max Weissflog (Olivia’s brother) In my class too!!!!!

    I did a LOT of stuff during the summer but I really enjoyed going on vacation to California to go to Universal Studios and Disneyland! I went on a ride that was very intimidating for the past three times I’ve been to Disneyland. Once I did it I enjoyed it so much that I rode it 5 other times afterwards!!!!

    I also went to my Grandpa’s cabin in a lake in Minnesota to spread his ashes );
    He passed away in late January of this year. We had a celebration of his life on a boat landing on a lake. Some of my cousins were there too, only 2 of them were not because one is in the Navy and the other couldn’t make it.

    I am the youngest of all my cousins. The second youngest is 11, turning 12 tomorrow!!! But he wasn’t at the celebration because he is on my Mom’s side of the family.

    I also went to the beach and tried boogie boarding for the first time!!! It’s really fun but it took me about 30 minutes to get used to the freezing cold water.

    My cousin (Patrick, the guy who’s B-Day is tomorrow) came and stayed in Portland for a week. We went to Silverwood, Have you ever heard of it???? It is a theme park and water park in Idaho. We had a lot of fun there.

    We also stayed at my friend Kai Thompson’s beach house. Kai is in Mr. Hendrickson’s class.

    I also have a quick question, How old is Bentley in human years????



    Thanks,
    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but it sounds like you had a wonderful ceremony for him. And you did quite a bit for summer. I'm quite jealous. I love going to the cabin and the beach. You got to do both in a summer. How fun is that! Bentley is 2 and 1/2 years old. Can you believe it? Especially for a dog his size. Have a wonderful time for the rest of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mr. Bush,

    I'm Maxim. I met you at the ice cream social the other day. This summer my family and another family, the Mullens, went camping at Paulina Lakes, which is a volcanic crater in central Oregon. The biggest lake was Paulina Lake, but we camped at East Lake because it was the nicest for swimming. The Mullens brought two kayaks, and we took turns going out to the center of the lake in them. Once I discovered 'Frog Island', which was a floating mat of rotting algae connected to the bottom of the lake with tendrils. I called it 'Frog Island' because it's only inhabitants were frogs. It was so smelly that you could smell it from the shore!

    On our second-to-last day at the lake, we did a seven-mile hike to the crater rim viewpoint. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it for the view! You could see both of the lakes, and the obsidian flow, a.k.a. The Big Obsidian flow

    Another day, we hiked up The Big Obsidian flow. It was really hot because the pieces of black obsidian were sitting in the sun and absorbed a lot of the heat, and you had to walk through them. Once I actually burned myself on a piece of it. I took a piece of obsidian and when we got back to camp, I made an arrowhead. I'm working on making a bow right now. The only thing I didn't like about the trip was the 5 hour drive out.

    Another thing that I did this summer was a five-day, 15.5 mile backpacking trip. We moved camp every day, which kind of got annoying. On the first day, we camped at Shellrock Lake, which would have been good for swimming if it had not been for the foot-deep mud on the bottom. On the second day, at Middle Rock Lake, my sister, Iris, fell in in her only shoes and long pants! On the third day, we camped at Serene Lake, which WAS serene. Then, on the fourth day, we camped at Cache Meadow. Then, on the fifth day, we hiked five miles out.

    When we got back home, it was almost 9:00, and I slept in until 9:30 the next morning!

    Now we're going to hang out at our house for a week before school starts.

    - Maxim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a fantastic time! When I was your age my parents were avid campers. So, your story was getting me to think about all my camping experiences, the obsidian, craters, lakes, hiking, swimming, even muddy shores around the lakes. Haha! Thank you for sharing. - Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete